Skip to content
- Our almost 48 hours away was awesome. Husband and I’ve not had a night away sans kid(s) since before darling son was born over three years ago. I’m not going to regale you with stories as our adventures are our own, but our time away was refreshing and necessary.
- On a related note, we were last in Athens, Georgia for a wedding four (or was it five?) years ago for a long weekend in March. The wedding and weekend were beautiful, but husband and I felt that we’d never be able to move back to town if life presented the opportunity. We were chuffed when we realized during our trip that we feel differently now and would happily move back if it made sense.
- Our time away prompted a bit of self-reflection on how different our lives are now versus what we thought life was going to be like when we left Athens 14 years ago. We were among the lucky few we know who were able to get real, adult jobs in town upon graduation and that year let us be adults, albeit with training wheels. What a life we’ve had thus far and I wish I could go back in time to tell my 23-year-old self to enjoy the ride a bit more.
- Having friends is awesome. As an introvert, it would be so much easier (at time) to not have friends, but I know this isn’t true and am thankful for the wonderful people in my life.
- Modern technology is awesome. I’m sitting on the couch at 2 PM in Doha exchanging online messages with friends in Australia and around the corner while sending emails to people back in the US. It’s even awesomer (is that a word? WordPress tells me it isn’t. I think it should be.) how much easier things have gotten in the four years (or so) since we left Washington, DC.
- Being an adult is awesome. Sure, there are lots of unfun things about it (like cleaning the kitchen EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.), but I want to go back in time to tell my late teen/early twenties self to be patient. Hell, I want to tell my mid/late twenties self to be patient. My thirties have been far better than I ever anticipated they would be and I’m actually kind of excited about turning forty in a few years.
- After several mornings of wake-ups on the right side of 6:30 AM, little girl decided to wake up right at 6 AM. Sigh. I was really getting used to having coffee and chatting with husband for a bit before the kid(s) woke up. Here’s to hoping that today was a quirk and not a schedule re-set.
- The humidity has cranked up here! It’s now only 99F, but it feels like 113F due to the 47% humidity. Ugh. The kids and I played outside for a bit this morning, but only for a bit because I was sweating buckets.
- While new baby gates were being installed this morning, I took advantage of little boy’s newfound love of Moana and reorganized all the downstairs toys. We’ve been in this house coming up on a month and it was desperately needed.