Once a year, my extended family on my mother’s side tries to get together for a Family Fun Day. We started this in 2010 as all the kids in my generation have kids of their own (except me) and they were having enough problems balancing Thanksgiving and Christmas with their respective immediate family members much less trying to see the extended family.
For 2011, we met this past weekend for Family Fun Day as well as to celebrate my grandmother’s 82nd birthday. Upon reflection, I was reminded of several things that I regularly forget.
- 6 AM Saturday morning flights always seem like a good idea
- They’re really not if you have to be social all day long
- The absence of even one person (and their whole immediate nuclear family) can made a huge difference in group dynamics
- Low country boil always needs more Old Bay than you think it does
- Bourbon makes everything better
- 36 hours in Atlanta makes for a roller coaster of a trip
- Sleep is (sometimes) overrated